7 February 2024

Lessons from Sabbatical - Week 1

Today was day 7 of a 3-month sabbatical that began on February 1. My primary goal for this time off is rest – it’s been an exhausting almost-4 years of leadership in a pandemic. The first couple of years of the pandemic were marked by a continual demand on creativity as we figured out how to do everything differently; continual vigilance as we monitored the public health situation and the always-changing public health restrictions and regulations; and continually holding any plans loosely as we always had to be prepared to pivot with short notice.

 

Two lessons stand out from this first week of rest:

 

1)   As much as I frequently proclaim that we are “human beings” and not “human doings,” this is easier said than done. Now that my only job is to be, it is really hard to ascribe worth to being rather than to doing. Letting go of the need to be productive is hard.

 

2)   The spaciousness of time. With only minimal demands on my time, I don’t need to be stingy with the minutes and hours of each day. Time is no longer a resource to be hoarded. I can let myself go to bed at a decent hour because I will have more time tomorrow to continue what I am doing tonight. I can give myself permission to do things that are fun and that make me feel good, like singing and exercising every day. My next learning should probably be around figuring out how to carry this spaciousness into post-sabbatical life, but for now I’m just going to enjoy it.

 

 

My supervisors, ensuring that I am resting!

No comments:

Post a Comment