22 March 2018

"The Wisdom of Trees" (poem)


March 21 is World Poetry Day, so I thought that I would share something that I have been working on recently.  This probably isn’t its final form, but this is where it is at as of today.



As I was traveling down
the narrow path between
            trees reaching up to the sky,
I came upon an old woman –
            an ancient crone, dressed
            in browns and greens of forest.
I asked her:
            Am I on the right path?
            Is this the path to my heart’s desire?
            Is this the path to God?
She looked at me
            and she smiled
            and she replied:
                        The right path is the one you are walking,
                                    not the one you long for;
                        and how you walk it
                                    is more important
                                                than where you are going;
                        for the one whom you seek
                                    is always with you –
                                                at the end of your path,
                                                your companion on the journey,
                                                and the one in your heart.
I smiled;
            I thanked her;
                        I continued on my way.
But when I looked back,
            Lady Wisdom had vanished
                        and in her place stood
                                    a single
                                                lofty
                                                            tree.




1 comment: